MTEP engages Amanda McLauchlan, a qualified Art Therapist to work with our children and families. Art Therapy is a form of psychotherapy that uses art media as its primary mode of communication. It is statutorily regulated by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
When children and young people are experiencing emotional difficulties they find learning very hard and their inclusion in school life is affected. Art Therapy as a form of intervention can assist with individual’s psychological, emotional, educational, social and physical development. Art Therapists can help identify new strategies for managing feelings, thoughts and behaviours at home and school. They can build resilience in the child and encourage and support the child, their primary carers, and teachers through the process of making positive changes
Art Therapy is not dependent on spoken language and can therefore be helpful to anyone who finds it difficult to express their thoughts and feelings verbally. It is therefore suitable for very young children, and children with communication problems and with English as a second language.
How does Art Therapy Help?
Art Therapy can help improve behaviour, raise achievement, encourage attendance and help pupils take part more fully in school life.
The pupils who may benefit are those
- In danger of exclusion;
- Experiencing emotional and behavioural difficulties;
- With social and communication difficulties;
- Struggling with particular life events such as bereavement and changes in family structure and illness;
- Who are refugees or are seeking asylum;
- Who have suffered abuse, bullying or trauma;
- With learning difficulties or physical difficulties;
- With autism spectrum disorders;
- With child protection concerns including experience of abuse or exposure to domestic violence;
- With a physical disability or illness;
- With social, peer, communication, speech and language difficulties.
This list is not exhaustive and pupils who may appear withdrawn or anxious, angry, depressed, moody, violent or disaffected may also benefit from Art Therapy.
MTEP Schools can download a referral form to access Art Therapy support click here:
Completed Signed referrals should then be emailed VIA EGRESS SWITCH to; firstname.lastname@example.org
To access the Art Therapist Compliance Quality Assurance Document, with details of all DBS numbers, Professional Registration etc. Please CLICK HERE
MORE INFORMATION TO FOLLOW